Thursday, April 2, 2009

Something that wouldn’t happen in the States….

Today, at the end of a warm and enjoyable walk, I picked up the little dog so he wouldn’t run off down the street. He likes to visit the neighbors or smell around people’s garages. So, I picked him up and took him down the road. When we were past the chicken coop and other dogs I let him down. As soon as he touched the ground he ran back and began chasing the chickens. Then I heard a horrible sound, he had caught a chicken. I was stuck with Maverick trying to tie him off somewhere so I could go get Hercules. I was screaming for him but he wouldn’t come. I couldn’t do anything but watch him attack this poor chicken (who is ¾ his size!). Then the chicken went limp and Hercules ran off to grab another. I used Maverick to chase him back towards the house. Luckily our neighbors are very sweet and helped me to go talk to the neighbor. They weren’t home at first, but later when he went back they were. They were sweet, they found the chicken in the coop and he’s definitely hurt. We might be buying our neighbors a new chicken…. Not something I ever thought I’d say. On the walk back home, I turned to my neighbor and said “My dog killed your chicken is not a phrase they covered in my German class.” There’s one more experience I never would have had in the states.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update. I know you are very busy and I'll try not to keep bugging you about it. But, this is the kind of stuff we don't usually hear about when we're taking on the phone. Gotta love those dogs! Sounds like you may need a few German lessons on unusual phrases.

Love ya,
Mom