So I figured I would blow everyone’s mind and post two days in a row! Today was a great day in first grade. A few changes in my schedule completely changed that classroom. Anyone who tells you they have a “bad class” isn’t willing to look at the most likely source… the teacher. My class has always been good, but I wasn’t getting their best work. I love that the classroom is starting to run its self. When students do something wrong, they are already walking to the front of the room to put their name on the board before I can say anything. It’s really nice. There are a few minor changes but they will just make the classroom even better. I still have random teachers dropping in to see my classroom or say hi. It’s also nice that when people walk in, all my students are working on different things quietly… not a usual sight in first grade. I also got a set of DVDs that I recommend to anyone with children 18 months-8 years. A company named “Preschool Prep” has a whole family of DVDs that teacher numbers, letters, colors, and sight words. Sight words are what my kids are struggling with. They have short, ten minute, clips that present 4 or 5 sight words. The kids love them and they seem to work. It’s a goal by kindergarten that student memorize about 50 sight words…. Most of mine haven’t. But now, almost all of my students are recognizing the ones we’ve watched. So…. It’s never too early to start (Shelby). The series is called Meet the _______(Letters, Colors, Numbers, Sight Words). They are pretty cheap and even my six and seven year olds are amused.
I’m taking my first graduate credit. I have six years to get 28, to keep my teaching license. Graduate courses through DoDDS are so cheap… $65 (less than our internet bill). But the real reason I decided to post is, of course, to brag! I came home around 8pm tonight, which is pretty common for me. Terrel had made an amazing dinner! It requires a recipe and everything! He experimented with peppers (which he doesn’t usually like), made rice, cooked pork, and made his own sauce. Even more amazing, none of it was cooked on the grill. He actually cooked over the stove and lit candles and everything. I tell you…. We MUST be newlyweds ☺
Have a great week!
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment