Saturday, October 17, 2009

Update... Finally

So…. We’re back. I know you all probably gave up on the blog because it’s been over a month since an update. Usually, that means that we’re so busy that there’s barely enough time to check email. So, the blog gets ignored. At the moment life is busier than ever. So in this case, I’m using the blog to keep everyone updated (saving time ☺ ).

Terrel loved all his birthday gifts and if he were here he'd say thank you. He bought all the computer parts as soon as he figured out what he wanted. Then, he put together the computer the same night the pieces arrived. He literally put it together in one night. It took him about three days to download all the drivers and software and troubleshoot a few problems but he's in love! He loves that computer and all of you for helping him. I told him he should make it a hobby and assemble custom computers for people. He LOVES that idea. At the moment he's at the car shop fixing the 'front end' of the car. In other words, the steering is all wonky so he's got to get it all straight. I'm uploading a video he made and some pictures of the computer. I'll upload more pictures as soon as I get back from errands today. It's the perfect task to do with laundry!

School is good but very very busy. I had my semiannual review and it went very very well. Our school is being reaccredited this year so there is a lot of stress. More attention to lesson plans and specific teaching strategies. There’s a lot more paperwork and a lot more meetings. All of our standards were changed by DoDEA this summer so there’s even more to get caught up on. I think that’s what Christmas break is for. Anyway, I love my class and I’m just in a constant state of prayer that they continue to progress and meet the benchmarks. Also, I’ve been asked to take on some leadership positions within my own grade level but also as a chairperson on a committee. I wouldn’t have taken the chair position but the Vice Principal came and asked me specifically. So, there we go. School is going so well and if I don’t stop being so helpful and cooperative I might end up living there ☺.

Back in August I became FRG leader of Terrel’s Company’s FRG. An FRG is the Family readiness Group. It’s set up to support the families and soldiers of a specific company or unit, particularly around a deployment. Our FRG fell apart and we still haven’t picked up the pieces. We need to put together a phone roster for 150 soldiers and their families. We need to hire a full-time position for a liaison and about a million other things. This weekend we were supposed to have a BBQ and bike ride but it got cancelled because of snow! Next week we are setting up for a haunted house that will run Friday and Saturday. The Halloween party will be Saturday as well. Then, I have a little break until Thanksgiving and the Christmas party. We’ll have to do some planning with the Christmas Ball and Christmas party but I’m not thinking about that yet.

The biggest change right now is probably our two foster kids. We were called last Saturday and asked if we could take them. Our packet apparently was never completed because someone doesn’t know how to file…. How some people keep their jobs is beyond me. Anyway… they needed a placement for them so at 2pm on Saturday Terrel and I officially began fostering two very sweet and traumatized kids. The difference in them is amazing. We had a lot of fun over the long weekend. Then, a small set back on Tuesday afternoon. The little boy had to be restrained at school. It came time to pack up and go home. He has a lot of trouble talking about his emotions and communicating problems. He had been acting up the whole week prior, which the school now believes was his way of trying to get someone’s attention. I was able to go to his classroom, since school had been dismissed and help to calm him down. Talking to his teacher and the vice principal we were able to deduce that he was scared and thought he might be going home. He and I talked about it and once it was clear that he was staying with us for a while his whole attitude changed. He loves school and smiles constantly. He’s communicating with us, his teachers, and his peers and explains not only how he is feeling but even what he wants. It’s a huge step! Yeay! Also, they’ve both been to the doctors and they’re healthy little kids. They are so sweet and happy. They are both in special education programs, however, it mostly because their education has been so interrupted that they have fallen very far behind. We’re hoping to make up some of that loss with extra help at home.

On a slightly different note… the foster care program in the army overseas is HORRIBLE! The process to remove a child is so difficult it’s almost not worth trying. Then, once they are removed and an investigation has begun they can still be sent home! No joke! In this case, the abuser is a single parents. The claims were substantiated the first night and pictures were taken as evidence. A very clear statement was given by the child. Later, the abuser confessed and gave a statement. Yesterday the second child gave a statement. The officer told me that it was a ‘slam dunk’ case. However, as soon as social services says the home is safe and the abuser has taken a couple of parenting classes, the kids can go home. Better yet, the kids can go home before the criminal investigation is even complete! Some explain THAT to me? Can you tell we’re a little upset about this process? So… Alicia is in war mode. I’m going through all the channels available to complain about this process and hopefully get some change. The truth is, except for the people who work in these agencies, no one knows how they work. In fact, getting a straight answer from one of the agencies is still like pulling teeth.

Anyway… we’re going to go shopping. We already have snow so the kids need boots. We’re also going to look for some more clothes and they both have worn holes in their shoes. It’s amazing how normal their clothes and things look However, when look at the bottom of their shoes, the knees of their pants, or their underclothes it’s a completely different story. Especially for the boy, there’s holes, things don’t fit, and there’s not much that’s German weather friendly. There's also the yearly bizaar on post so I'm going!

We are having a great time. Terrel is in 7th heaven as he plays Daddy for a while. The dogs’ tails permanently wag as the kids rough house and tease them. The kids laughter and giggles echo on our relatively empty house. If it were possible we would definitely adopt these kids. However, it’s pretty clear that that won’t be an option. At the end of the day I’m really tired but I love being busy like this. There are a few things that are really important and they are totally fulfilling. In my job I get to help kids in about 100 different ways. At home I get to be a wife, help two young kids, and have a great time. With the FRG I get to help a lot of families and give a face and a voice. It’s a pretty awesome life we have! Thought it’s often tiring and sometimes frustrating… we’re happier than we’ve ever been.
Love to you all!

No comments: