Sunday, September 6, 2009

Back to School

So it’s been a very very busy two weeks. I got the key to my classroom back and spent almost a week getting it ready. It’s still not perfect but all the big furniture is where it should be. The names of my students are plastered in dozens of places around the room and the welcome signs are up. I didn’t spend too much money on the classroom, mostly because Julie gave me a gift certificate and my favorite store was having a sale. I’ve bought a few things and some new ‘teacher’ clothes.

It was an amazing first week. The students are so little and I keep surprising myself at what you have to teach. There are about 1000 things you have to teach that will never be put in a text book. A few include: how to walk in the hall, use the bathroom, wash hands, sneeze, use the cafeteria, hold the door, sit on the carpet, read a book, sign into a computer, shake hands, and so many more. With the fear of swine flu it’s even more important that we teach the hygiene lessons.

Last Saturday was Terrel’s birthday. I took a break from the classroom to help Terrel babysit on Friday night and go shopping for his birthday BBQ. Saturday morning there was an FRG meeting to assemble care packages. Then, I met Terrel at the park for his BBQ. There was a pretty good turnout. He did almost all the cooking and finally realized how much work a cookout can be. I have a feeling next time he wants a BBQ he’ll give me more than 3 days notice. Lol It was a fun evening with friends. We celebrated again on Monday but Terrel wasn’t feeling too well. He had another stomach bug so dinner was pancakes. He didn’t want a cake this year. Instead, we made homemade ice cream at the BBQ and pan’cakes’ at home. For pictures of his birthday, go to the “Culp Family Album” link.

Terrel says “Thank you” for all the wonderful birthdy presents. He loved his shirts, hat, gift cards, and other presents. He’s already pricing parts for the computer he wants to build. I gave him a few smaller gifts and we’re waiting for his new camcorder to arrive. We also bought him a new desk at IKEA this weekend as a belated present. He really looks like a gamer now!
There’s not too much besides that. Terrel is studying for the soldier of the month board but we’re still not sure when he’ll go. I am busy with FRG things and school. I’m planning a safety briefing for next Thursday that all soldiers must attend. It’s a big deal and I’ll be front and center. If it goes well it will be a wonderful start for our FRG. If it doesn’t go well it could be a large set back.

Before I forget, it looks like we’ll be heading back to the states in April. My sister has finally settled on a month and a tentative date. She is trying to plan around my spring break so I can be there. She doesn’t want to have a wedding in the summer in Florida so April is her month of choice. We’re not sure yet if there’ll be a detour to Texas since we’ll only have about a week. We’re looking into our options though because Terrel hasn’t been to Texas in WAY too long. We also heard that a certain cousin is getting married… so when we get that date we’ll do our best to make plans to get home again.

That’s all for now… check out the pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like ya'll have been busy people!!! And how about that old man brother of mine!! HA HA not that I am that far behind you!!! Love ya'll and miss you bunches! Thanks for the update!!!

Alana