Thursday, November 6, 2008

So recently I’ve received some complaints that I don’t update this enough. ☺ So, I’ll try to do better. Things here are going very well. I never really know what the day will be like. My days are usually predictable and include taking care of Maverick, subbing at the school, and then either preparing dinner or meeting Terrel on post before German class. However, recently Terrel’s schedule has been more than a bit unpredictable. He’s had a few late nights, random duties. It’s strange to think that we used to survive only seeing each other for a weekend every few weeks or even months. Now, if he comes home a couple hours late it seems like an eternity. We joke that it must still be part of the newlywed phase. On nights when I have German class I don’t get home until about 10pm, which is late for us old people. But he’s always up and waiting to watch some TV and have ice cream together. Of course, Maverick sleeps at our feet until it’s time for bed and then he wants to play.

This week has been busy even though I’m not working much of it. I spent all day Monday (literally 6 hours) trying to register both our cars on post. Registering cars in Germany is a bit different because you have to purchase insurance before you purchase the car. You’re issued temporary plates, and after a full inspection, are given permanent plates. It took forever. My opel passed easily but needs a new left parking light bulb (can you tell the inspection is thorough?). Terrel’s car however failed. It doesn’t take much to fail, apparently there was a little engine fluid that dripped when it was on the lift and our first aid kit wasn’t “German regulation.” Ironically the first aid kit was army issue, but the German one is about twice the size. So, we fixed the problems with Terrel’s car and it should be registered today. He was on a long detail last night, and didn’t get home until late. So, he was excused from PT this morning and was able to go back to inspection.

We also found out that our household goods have made it to Germany!!! Terrel received a call on Wednesday and they will be delivering it all on Friday ☺ I’m so excited to have my things back. It’s been six months since I saw some of it. I packed a fair amount of my belongings at Penn State before graduation. So now, I can hardly remember what I had. The rest of the stuff is mostly wedding presents. It feels like Christmas is coming early this year!

It was a touch month with expenses. It’s nice to be working; the extra money takes a lot of the stress off. However, with our (small) credit card debt, upcoming student loan payments, and the recent purchase of two new vehicles, there is a lot to pay off. This month we also had our security deposit due which, along with our rent, should be paid today. It’s a good thing we waited until the last minute because the exchange rate from USD to Euro has improved dramatically! By paying our rent and deposit in early now, we’re saving over $400.00! When vendors come to post, they’ll often have “sales” by advertising that $1=1E. My hope is that by the time we leave, the dollar is that strong.

In addition to the excitement about our household good finally arriving…. It looks like I might be getting my own classroom! I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m getting winks and hints at school. I went to the office to make sure they had everything I needed and was told; “You may not be waiting long,” followed by a wink. Then today I got a call asking me to update my local phone number. It’s funny when you think about it, because I was called on the number I was being asked to input. The reason being, I have to be called in order to be offered a job or interview. Even though the school has my information in the sub files, they cannot use that information to contact me for a full-time position. Technically, all the information they have on me should come from the computer. But we all know that life doesn’t work that way. I doubt that I would be looked at, or looked at as seriously, if I simply put up my resume on the website and did not substitute. Luckily, I’ve gotten to sub a lot and have been able to talk to a lot of teachers. I’m finding that a lot of the teachers have training in the same areas but don’t incorporate them into their teaching. Fortunately, I’m lucky enough to have come from a district that was on the forefront of education. I saw all these “theories” and curriculum in action. I know they work, and I can’t wait to have a classroom where I can implement them.

In the meantime, I’m going a bit crazy being an aide. I’ve been a teacher’s assistant in one capacity or another for over nine years… I’m ready to do it all!

Thank you everyone for the great birthday gifts! It was an amazing weekend. Terrel and I went shopping for some fun “house” things. We got a microwave and a food processor. It was a nice challenge to cook without a microwave for a few months, but there will be far fewer leftovers tossed now that reheating is so easy. I’m also excited about the salsa Terrel promises to make using the new processor.

Also this week, Maverick had his first Vet appointment. I know you’ll all be glad to know that he’s had his rabies and distemper shots as well as a de-wormer. He’s a full 14 pounds and loves just about everyone who will bend down to pet him. He gets carsick pretty easily but the Vet said that would probably go away.

Anyway, that’s all for now! I’m going to take the puppy (who’s not so little anymore) out for a walk.

Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new posting! I'm so excited for you about the possible job. Let us know as soon as you know. And congrats on your stuff getting there. You'll have a busy but FUN weekend going thru everything. I haven't gotten the pictures of Terrel. Not rushing you, just thought matbe you had sent them again and I didn't get them. Love ya! Mom(Julie)

Anonymous said...

So, I just finally had time to leave a comment. I wanted to let you know that I check the site regularly, so keep it up to date...HA HA. That's how I feel close to ya'll and try to keep up until we can get ya'll back to the states. I am so excited for yall. The house looks cool, and I love all of the color. It looks small, but cozy. Coming from my experience, the smaller it is in the beginning the better it is for your marriage. I mean you pretty much have to get along. HA HA. I love ya'll so much, and will try to post a comment for ya'll to read more often. Oh by the way, Johnathon and I are doing well. Johnathon starts back to school on the 21st, and has three semesters left. We can hardly wait for him to be done, because then it is my turn. We love ya'll!!!
Alana