Saturday, November 1, 2008

This Week

What a few weeks this has been.

One of my favorite shows (Army Wives) had a great quote that summed up this week: “So when you married Chase you knew this was it? Yea, but you never really know what it is until you’re in it.”

People ask, “How are you adjusting to military life?” I’m starting to think that it’s not really about adjusting, at least not the way you adjust after a usual move or changing schools. It’s more a change of mindset. All of a sudden priorities, concerns, and even going to the grocery store are all different. It’s not necessarily a bad difference but it’s a bigger adjustment than simply memorizing a local map, or figuring out where classes are. However, talking to friends and family from home is a great help. It’s hard to find friends here. People are very friendly but opportunities just aren’t as prevalent as they were on a campus with 40,000 undergrads. The adjustment is getting a bit easier though as Terrel and I both return to good health. Although Terrel has a talent for catching any bug within 1,000 miles, it seems he might finally be healthy again.

Over the past few weeks I find myself being a quiet observer on and off post. Sometimes I can’t believe that I’m living in Germany. It’s a beautiful landscape but one that could be compared to the rolling hills of Maine of Pennsylvania. In addition, I’ve loved being in the school as kids’ parents have returned from Iraq or Afghanistan. It is so much fun to hear them talk about staying up late to wait for Daddy or “Dad is coming home tonight.” Whether it’s first or fifth grade, the look on their faces is the same. It’s also been interesting when I talk to students about various topics. In one story we were talking about stores. The students only knew two stores: the PX and the Commissary. It was interesting to try and describe a mall or how there are different stores (each carrying a different type of merchandise). One of the first things they tell you when you’re training to be a teacher, is make sure the students know what you’re talking about. In this case, I was a bit caught off-guard. Just another surprise of teaching in a military school.

Lastly, Terrel was called onto CQ duty unexpectedly today. In otherwords, he’s sitting at a desk for 24 hours. So, I am going to go bring him dinner and watch Penn State beat Iowa. See ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oops...sorry about that Penn State/Iowa game.

Uncle Dave and Aunt Anne